Thursday, June 17, 2010

Home Beauty Remedies!!!!

Lately I've been pretty obsessed with at home beauty and I just wanted to fill you on on two things that I've done differently in my routine....


Honey Facial Cleanser
The first thing that I've done differently is that I've been washing my face with pure honey.  This might sound kind of weird to you.  When I started looking up things to mix together for different facial stuff, I came across using pure honey, from a couple different sources.  From what I understand, honey is antibacterial and moisturizing, therefore making it a good cleanser!  I also like this idea as opposed to preparing something, because they you don't really need to worry about it spoiling without being refrigerated.  This is important to me because I know that if I need to keep something in the fridge, I will constantly forget to take it to the shower with me. 

So anyways... I keep the jar of honey (that I purchased from the Farmer's Market awhile ago) on a shelf in the fridge with a spoon.  And then when I'm ready to use, I just scoop out about half a spoonful to mix between my hands and apply to my face.  The first thing I noticed is that the honey is slightly gritty.. so this is giving me a great light exfoliation.  I don't know how I feel about the smell of it when it's that close to my nose though...  It does a pretty good job of getting my face clean.  The feeling of my skin, afterwards, is similar to that of a milky cleanser.  The condition of my skin hasn't really gotten any better or any worse... so since I've been having a problem finding a cleanser that will clear up my acne, this isn't really bothering me.  If I had bacterial acne, I think the honey would clear up my face... but I have hormonal acne.  (So if anyone knows of any cleansers that is good for this purpose, let me know!)

Mayonnaise Hair Mask
Today, before showering, I scooped about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of real mayo (not Miracle Whip) into my hair.  I had heard about this idea before, but this is the article that really put the idea in my head:
Home Remedies for Shiny Hair.  This article has a couple different ideas as to how to really put shine in your hair, and she also references using mayo in other entries.  Anyways, I decided to go ahead with the mayo mask, mostly for simplicity.  I could have used Olive Oil or Eggs or Honey, but I just thought it would be easiest to slather some mayo onto my head.
I really should have brushed my hair before doing this.  I think that just made it a little harder to work with.  I started with the ends and worked up to the roots.  I was really surprised about how quickly the mayo would dry onto my hair.  But I just took the jar in the bathroom with a spoon and stood in front of the mirror.  I took mayo by the spoonfuls and worked it into my hair.  I just made sure to rinse my hands after each application.  Then I pulled my hair into a hair tie and waited about a half hour before showering. 

I really didn't love or hate this mask.  It did give my hair some shine, but it just kind of reminded me of a dirty shine, if you know what I mean... like, a greasy shine.  I think next time, I might try Olive Oil instead, or maybe the raw eggs....

1 comment:

  1. You can try to use rose water from rose scented pelargoniums. I have not checked if is working for acne, but for sure can be used for healthy-looking shine.
    http://scentedleaf.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-make-rose-water-using-rose.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails