Friday, May 14, 2010

Country Garden Omelet!

I figured out what I would like to begin posting!  And I just realized this is going to sound very Julie + Julia... but its not, I promise.  But one of my most recent interests has been cooking.  For the longest time, I was a horrible cook, therefore, I hated doing it.  The first time I made Hamburger Helper, I got to the end of the instructions and then said to myself, "When was I supposed to put the noodles in?!".  And then I finally mastered the art of goulash.  Mmm... goulash.  And to make it better, once I did learn how to cook, I made my goulash even better!  I didn't think that was possible.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm really wanting some goulash, but I have to put that aside, because I just ate.  Back on topic...

A little over a year ago, I decided to become a vegetarian.  I think I said that before, in a previous post.  I had sworn off all meat and eggs.  However, living in the midwest... eggs are pretty hard to avoid.  Don't tell me I have no balls... I'm a strong woman.  I just didn't want to starve at every meal (remember?  I didn't cook!).  And then just recently, I introduced seafood back into my diet.  There's even a picture of me eating shrimp!  The point of this paragraph was to remind you that none of these recipes will contain "meat".  Oh, and back to the goulash, I used Morningstar Crumbles... not ground hamburger.

Today, I was craving an omelet.... specifically, a Garden Omelet from Bob Evans.  However, now that I'm living back in this small town... the nearest Bob Evans is about 25 minutes away.  Oh, and I'm broke.  However, I knew I had some eggs and shredded cheese in the refrigerator.  So, I got online and searched for a Garden Omelet Recipe.  Here is what I found:

Country Garden Omelet
http://southernfood.about.com/od/eggrecipes/r/bl51211b.htm
 
<<< -- Picture from the website. My presentation wasn't that pretty.  :(

My Thoughts: I thought this recipe was really delicious. :)  And surprisingly, I only made one mistake!

Instead of reading "2 teaspoons butter", I read "2 tablespoons butter".  That is a pretty big mistake, although it didn't ruin the recipe.  As I was melting the butter, I thought "this doesn't seem right, but the recipe says so!".  More often than not, I don't follow my instinct and I should.  All this really did though, was make it a little more difficult for the egg to cook and it had a more buttery flavor, which being from the a small town in the Midwest, this wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

I also wish I would have used a Roma Tomato.  I used some plain tomatoes on-the-vine, which I felt were just too juicy and not meaty enough.

Also, if you read the recipe, it doesn't tell you when you should use the Cajun seasoning.  I sprinkled mine on the top, mainly because I forgot to put it in, and I had bought it specifically for this recipe.

I definitely think I will be making this recipe on a regular basis though. It was pretty delicious and I love a good Garden Omelet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails