Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Apple & peach oatmeal

I was inspired by all the oatmeal circulating in the media lately. McDonald’s now offers their fruit & maple syrup oatmeal. I’ve seen lots of fruity oatmeal recipes in blogland. I’m watching The Martha Stewart show right now, and they’re talking about how you should eat oatmeal every morning to save your heart. Lots of oatmeal.

I went to the snow yesterday, before we got the worst of this stinkin’ blizzard, and purchased some of the necessary ingredients.

  • 3/4 Cup Water
  • 3/4 Cup Milk
  • 3/4 Cup Oatmeal
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • Desired amount of maple syrup
  • 1/4 Apple, chopped
  • 1/4 Peach, chopped (I used frozen peaches, so I just took 2 slices and chopped those)
  • Dash of salt
  • Cinnamon, if desired

1.  Heat the water, milk, and salt to boiling.

2.  Add your oatmeal, and reduce heat to medium. Let sit, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.

3. Remove from heat and add all of your other ingredients. The heat of the oatmeal will soften your fruit.

4. Move to bowl and top with cinnamon.

5. Enjoy!

100MEDIA_IMAG00982

Look at that picture… I put on a little too much cinnamon. It was okay though! It was still delicious!

Now, I made my own brown sugar for this, because I was out. You can do this by putting granulated sugar in a bowl with a small amount of molasses, and mix with a fork. One website I found said about 1 teaspoon for 1 cup of sugar.

Oatmeal is a very healthy breakfast, but when I plugged this into Recipe Analyzer, it was kind of high in calories. Now, I like my oatmeal pretty sweet, so I couldn’t imagine taking out the brown sugar or maple syrup… but that’s an option if you’re looking to reduce calories. Also, make your oatmeal with 1-1/2 cups water instead of splitting the liquid into water and milk.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I have never really tried oatmeal before. But the McDonalds stuff looks good. Of course, I never planned on going....and won't go to McDonalds to get it. I'll just use the recipe you shared now! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails